Spicy & Cheesy Texas Toast
Damn, yo, raising kids can be exhausting. I’m going to be honest here for a second and tell you that my husband and I may or may not be hypocrites: we feed our kids great, organic food and eat milk and cookies or Texas Toast once they’re all sleeping. Don’t judge me; don’t act like you’ve never eaten a candy bar in the closet by yourself! Look, sometimes, you just don’t want to make a whole spread for yourself. Sometimes, you just want something spicy and cheese and quick. That’s why we love our Spicy & Cheesy Texas Toast. We used to get the 4 Cheese Texas Toast but we realized that since we’re putting our own cheese on it anyway, we should just buy the Garlic Texas Toast so we get more bang for our buck.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Bake Time: 4-6 mins
Total Time: 19-21 mins
This is for all 8 pieces of toast in one box soooo anywhere between 2-4 people…. 2 if you’re Sanj and me (we eat 4 each sometimes). 4 if you’re a not-carb-loving-whey-protein-eating-smoothie-drinking person (read: you care about your weight and you’ll only eat two because that is definitely filling)
1 bag mozzarella cheese (yas girl, the WHOLE BAG)
1 jalapeno (can be less depending on how spicy you like it)
1/2 medium onion
3-4 cloves garlic
1 TSP oregano
1/4 TSP of salt
1 TSP black pepper
1 TBSP olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mince jalapenos and onion.
- Put mozzarella, minced jalapeno and onion into mixing bowl.
- Grate in garlic cloves.
- Add salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Mix everything together and slowly add in olive oil.
- Place the cheese neatly on to each piece of toast.
- Line the toast in the oven itself, leaving 1/2 inch between each toast.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Don’t seed the jalapeno. This is supposed to be spicy, y’all.
- If you have a Vidalia, I recommend using it to mince the jalapenos and onions. It’s almost effortless!
- What I mean by step 8 is that there is no baking sheet. We put it straight into the oven like that. That’s why it’s important to place the cheese neatly on to the toast. Cleaning that cheese off the bottom of your oven is not fun.
- So if you like your cheesy garlic bread crunchy, set the oven to 400 degrees F and bake for 5 mins.
- If you take a bite and you realize that the jalapenos are in fact, not spicy at all, then dust on some red pepper flakes and call it a day!
- Use Tellicherry Pepper if you can get your hands on that stuff. A million times better tasting than regular pepper.
Enjoy your after-kids-go-to-bed-and-we’re-too-tired-to-cook meal! I know we will 🙂
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my updates and be in-the-know!